Your customers usually don't need a PayPal account to pay with PayPal. They can pay with their credit/debit card too. There are two exceptions to this:
- In some countries, even with a Business account, PayPal will require your customers to pay using a PayPal account. To confirm this, please contact your local PayPal support team.
- That customer has had a lifetime spend of over £1900.00 using PayPal guest checkout, which means they must use a PayPal account for any further transactions.
With PayPal Express, the default is set to ask customers to login into PayPal (or create a PayPal Account). However, you might prefer to give your customers the options of paying with card straight away.
This function is only available if you have linked your credit card to your PayPal account.
Login to your PayPal account on PayPal.com.
- Click Profile and/or Profile and Settings
- Click My selling tools or My selling preferences
- Next to Web Preferences, click Update.
- Set "PayPal Account Optional" to On.
4. Set "PayPal Account Optional" to On.
5. Don't forget to click Save afterwards!
Please note - even with this setting activated, we still hear reports from businesses using PayPal that their customers are asked to sign up with PayPal. Bookwhen has made all attempts with PayPal to ensure this doesn't happen, but PayPal controls this process and they can still decide to offer non-card options from time to time. If this is a persistent issue with your account then we strongly recommend the much slicker and more reliable Stripe. More in our blog article here.